Russia Fucks Your Crypto Too

grarpamp grarpamp@gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 09:50:40 PDT 2016

https://yro.slashdot.org/story/16/06/20/2231208/russian-bill-requires-encryption-backdoors-in-all-messenger-apps
http://www.dailydot.com/politics/encryption-backdoor-russia-fsb/
http://www.currenttime.tv/a/27809255.html

A new bill in the Russian Duma, the country's lower legislative house,
proposes to make cryptographic backdoors mandatory in all messaging
apps in the country so the Federal Security Service -- the successor
to the KGB -- can obtain special access to all communications within
the country. [Apps like WhatsApp, Viber, and Telegram, all of which
offer varying levels of encrypted security for messages, are
specifically targeted in the "anti-terrorism" bill, according to the
Russian-language media. Fines for the offending companies could reach
1 million rubles or about $15,000.] Russian Senator Elena Mizulina
argued that the new bill ought to become law because, she said, teens
are brainwashed in closed groups on the internet to murder police
officers, a practice protected by encryption. Mizulina then went
further. "Maybe we should revisit the idea of pre-filtering
[messages]," she said. "We cannot look silently on this."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXb4Ka2ygwU
The train went on and on ...