Physical Key Extraction Attacks on PCs

Zenaan Harkness zen@freedbms.net
Thu Jun 16 23:51:26 PDT 2016

Fwd: Subject: [ PFIR ] Physical Key Extraction Attacks on PCs

Physical Key Extraction Attacks on PCs
http://cacm.acm.org/magazines/2016/6/202646-physical-key-extraction-attacks-on-pcs/fulltext

Our research thus focuses on two main questions: Can physical
side-channel attacks be used to nonintrusively extract secret
keys from PCs, despite their complexity and operating speed?
And what is the cost of such attacks in time, equipment,
expertise, and physical access?  Results. We have identified
multiple side channels for mounting physical key-extraction
attacks on PCs, applicable in various scenarios and offering
various trade-offs among attack range, speed, and equipment
cost. The following sections explore our findings, as
published in several recent articles.