[OT] Fwd: [ddj] Scanning the Dark Web with Python

John jnn at synfin.org
Fri Jul 29 04:08:51 PDT 2016

On July 29, 2016 5:00:15 AM EDT, Zenaan Harkness <zen at freedbms.net> wrote:
>On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 08:00:01AM +0200, Bastiani Fortress wrote:
>>    Do you people have some methods for concentration? I have little
>>    time after works and one day i start to develop a c++ game i
>>    started months ago and never looked back, another day i try to
>>    learn ruby by adding random functionality to an online
>todo-listish
>>    project which will obviously reach a dead end eventually, some
>>    other days i try pic stuff on breadboards... When i take a timeout
>>    at work, i try to read papers on network protocols, and sometimes
>>    bitcoin, and sometimes other crypto stuff... It does give a
>>    momentary satisfaction, but the thing is, nothing ever gets done
>in
>>    the end. I started to think that being able to reach knowledge
>this
>>    easily (smartphones, wikipedia, sci-hub, etc.) perhaps isn't a
>good
>>    thing, and diverts focus.
>
>Indeed, in an age where we have unlimited access to information, the
>hardest thing can be deciding what to say no to, what to ignore.
>
>So for success, hone your skill of determining what to ignore, as early
>and quickly as possible, so that the limited time you do spend on
>anything is spent on worthwhile things.
></polemically stating the obvious>

I don't think Zen's point can be stressed enough... There is literally so much out there, if you really want to learn something well it's important to develop a little tunnel vision, verging on myopia, until you have sufficient mastery... At which point you can branch back out to a broad view and see how your new understanding of <whatever> informs future research & learning endeavors...

I have this exact problem myself.

John