Call for input to President's Commission on Enhancing Cybersecurity

John jnn at synfin.org
Thu Jul 21 03:50:11 PDT 2016

On July 21, 2016 1:58:35 AM EDT, Zenaan Harkness <zen at freedbms.net> wrote:
>On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 08:57:52PM -0400, John wrote:
>> On July 20, 2016 7:19:35 PM EDT, Zenaan Harkness <zen at freedbms.net>
>wrote:

>> >and XP
>> >
>> >I never understood why folks upgraded from WfWG3.1 - 98 was -never-
>as
>> >stable, except when nothing was installed (including drivers). Not
>> >mention those ghastly green hills...
>
>Actually, it was WfWG 3.11, to be precise. I only had Windows 3.1, and
>lusted after the full windows for worgroups edition...
>
>> I never understood why anyone would run Windows -at all-.  Linux and
>> *BSD have both been totally usable for 20+ years now...
>
>I did not know about Linux back then - I had actually heard about gcc
>and tried to download it on an old loaner PC running DOS that I had at
>the time, but I was getting only 1200baud! After 12 hours, reading
>enough to realise I'd be doing a lot of swapping just to use it, I
>figured I would wait until after upgrading to one of the new beaut
>24/32kbps spangled modems and a better PC.
>
>A few years later someone I was working with brought in a slackware
>full
>CD set, and I was pleasantly amazed. Memory is not the best so there
>are
>probably other events in between.

The first time I ever tried to install Linux was on a 286 in I think 1995 (I lagged on quality computers as a kid).
I downloaded the kernel source from a BBS at 9600 baud and got totally fucking confused with what to do with the resulting tgz file.... Eventually I was able to extract it in DOS, but of course it was still unusable... Linux needs 32bit and you can't install from a kernel source archive...

Anyway I got a Pentium 120 a year or two later and figured it out. Never really looked back. Used a lot of Solaris in late 90s as well - netras were reasonably cheap (are dirt cheap now)

John