Lucky Green Quits Tor Hard [re: Tor Replaces Its Entire Board]

Rayzer rayzer at riseup.net
Tue Jul 19 08:07:21 PDT 2016

On 07/19/2016 01:57 AM, Mirimir wrote:
> On 07/18/2016 10:30 PM, grarpamp wrote:
>> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/19690
>> http://archive.is/T8Hlu (Uncensored version)
>>
>> http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2016/07/18/lucky_green_torpedos_tors_tonga_node/
>> https://www.reddit.com/r/privacy/comments/4tectj/tor_veteran_lucky_green_exits_torpedos_critical/
>>
>> """""
>> Tonga (Bridge Authority) Permanent Shutdown Notice
>> 2016-07-16T01:06:25Z
>>
>> Dear friends,
>> Given recent events, it is no longer appropriate for me to materially
>> contribute to the Tor Project either financially, as I have so
>> generously throughout the years, nor by providing computing resources.
>> This decision does not come lightly; I probably ran one of the first
>> five nodes in the system and my involvement with Tor predates it being
>> called "Tor" by many years.
>> Nonetheless, I feel that I have no reasonable choice left within the
>> bounds of ethics, but to announce the discontinuation of all
>> Tor-related services hosted on every system under my control.
> I wonder what triggered this. The Appelbaum mess? Board change?
>
> Probably some back story about one or both. Maybe it'll leak :)

"...within the bounds of ethics..." can mean a lot of different things.

Maybe  this person didn't like the way ioerror was SLANDERED. Maybe a
rift in the Board about how much say the gubmint gets in the project and
it just got replaced with a majority sold out to teh gubmint.

I might add IF there was some new MAJOR problem within tor software
itself ioerror or this guy would surely be blowing that whistle... Now
that there's been a purge, that could change. People like schneier might
be reasonable and ethical watchdogs but he CERTAINLY isn't someone who
can spot the problems in the code.

Rr