UK gov says new Home Sec will have powers to ban end-to-end encryption

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Sun Jul 17 04:48:32 PDT 2016

> I was not clear - while the HS can extend the notices to eg include other
> forms of encryption not applied by "relevant operators", she cannot serve
> notices on, or force any other obligation on, anyone except "relevant
> operators".
>
> If you are a private citizen and you aren't providing a service, she can't
> prevent you from doing any encryption you like, nor can she make you
> backdoor it.
>
> PGP is okay, and there's not a thing in the Bill which says she can do
> anything to ban it.
>
> Neither can she stop people using SSL/TLS, or except in the case of some
> UK-based servers, mandate backdoors in it.
>
> She could in theory serve a notice on Google, Apple or Facebook - but in
> practice, none of these would actually be obligated to obey it.

You sir, receive the award from The Ministry of Truth!

In all seriousness, you need to read, re-read, and read again, that
which you write.

I will assume for now that you are well intentioned, but take notice, as
the old saying goes "the road to hell is paved with good intentions".

Please, if you want to contribute to comprehending this new UK act, you
will need to slow it waaay down, because you are writing conclusions,
assumptions, with minimal quotes from the act, and making assertions
based on these foundation things, and these foundation things are
contradictory, and your conclusions are contradictory.

Perhaps it's the British way, or perhaps the intention behind the
passing of this Act is so nefarious, that the only way they could pass
it was to be as obtuse, opaque and contradictory as it is, so that,
ultimately, they (the parliament and those behind it - "the Lords
spiritual and the Lods temporal") can wreak their mischief on the
'unsuspecting' people.

Peter, if your intention be genuinely "pro" the people and "pro" human
rights or at least "pro" understanding/comprehending, my assessment is
that so far, you are diving into the trap this Act sets and intends for
you - i.e. that you be "unsuspecting" of evil intentions behind it,
trusting in the government, trusting in those who drafted it, trusting
in your "Lords temporal" -

I urge you to be not so trusting, and you may find it easier to home in
on the keys, finding that clarity which is implied in your attempt to
bring to others the meaning, intentions and consequences of this Act of
the UK parliament.

Colloquially (again) - FFS WAKE UP!