Dallas suspect killed by police robot

Rayzer rayzer at riseup.net
Fri Jul 8 11:23:42 PDT 2016

On 07/08/2016 10:46 AM, M373 wrote:
> They bombed him. This is the first incident in the US that I am aware of.
>
> "10:20 a.m.
>
> A robotics expert says Dallas police appear to be the first law
> enforcement agency to use a robot to kill.
>
> Peter W. Singer, of the New America Foundation, says the killing of a
> suspect in Thursday night's fatal shooting of five police officers is
> the first instance of which he's aware of a robot being used lethally by
> police.
>
> Dallas Police Chief David Brown told reporters that after hours of
> failed negotiations and in order to not put any officers in harm's way,
> his department used a robot to deliver a bomb that killed the suspect.
> Brown said they saw no other option.
>
> Singer said in an email Friday that when he was researching his 2009
> book "Wired for War" a U.S. soldier told him troops in Iraq sometimes
> used MARCbot surveillance robots against insurgents."
>
> http://www.wrdw.com/content/news/The-Latest-Police-1-officer-killed-3-injured-in-Dallas-385952871.html

Local PD used one to kill a guy who was already dead about 8/9 years ago.

A cop saw a wanted fleeing felon in a van in a parking lot, approached
the door, gunfire exchanged and he retreated. An hour or two later in
the 'standoff' they sent out a robot to place a concussion grenade under
the van and detonated it. They found out the perp had been mortally
wounded in the initial exchange of gunfire and was dead when they blew
him up.

They've also used the robot to blow up a couple of Geotag gamer caches
around town ROTF!

Rr