Re: "Deleting WhatsApp chats doesn’t delete shit nothing."

Rayzer rayzer at riseup.net
Fri Jul 29 07:51:09 PDT 2016

On 07/28/2016 10:47 PM, Bastiani Fortress wrote:

> I installed signal on my phone with some enthusiasm, but it's
> practically useless because no one around me adopted it yet. It's sad
> that once a "social" app dominates the market, it's very hard to get
> people to switch to better alternatives unless there is a security
> scandal or something. Same goes with ring...

Personally I think having to expose the phone number of a smartphone to
another user to establish a chat is an incredible security risk in the
short and long run and leads to all sorts of metadata harvesting of your
unencrypted info. It appears one should keep a low-budget smartphone for
that use instead of their main number for better persec.

I questioned Morgan Mayhem (Intercept's sysadmin/cybersec guy) about
that when he broached how secure signal is (he's one of the developers)
on his twitter feed. Never got a reply.

Telegram allows the use of an @name instead of exposing your number if
you set up an account but I'm unsure what happens when a connection is
established and the contact is added to you contact list

Rr