Court Forces Fingerprint Phone Unlock

John Newman jnn at synfin.org
Tue Jul 26 14:59:58 PDT 2016

> On Jul 26, 2016, at 3:08 PM, Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at rushpost.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 2016-07-26 at 15:35 -0300, juan wrote:
>>        People could do lots of different things...if they owned their
>>        phones. But the phones are owned by apple. The phone users are
>>        owned by apple too, and by the US government.
>
> Not all of them; in fact I think Android has taken the lead over iOS in
> mobile phones, though I understand if one balks at trusting Google.

Depending on which phone you have and which ROM you flash onto it,
you can get an Android phone that is -mostly- independent of the
Google ecosystem - an independent app store (F-droid), firefox as
the browser, different mail clients (k-9, etc)…. different EVERYTHING,
basically, but the core system for managing the UI, and connecting
to networks/making calls/etc.  I mean, yes, you are still running google
code at the core of the thing - but you can get some distance.

E.g. -

https://fsfe.org/campaigns/android/liberate.en.html
http://www.xda-developers.com/setting-up-android-marshmallow-without-google/
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/using-android-without-google/

Over the years I’ve played with dozens of ROMs on a handful of
different android phones… its fun screwing around with them.

I’ve gotta keep an iPhone for work, and honestly the iPhone 5s looks
like a piece of fucking junk compared to my nexus 6.

John