Two Different Instructors On Using Tor Crypto Etc...

juan juan.g71 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 02:19:04 PDT 2016

On Thu, 21 Jul 2016 02:49:44 -0600
Mirimir <mirimir at riseup.net> wrote:

> It's clear from Syverson's writing that he has a devious sense of
> humor.

	I don't know, although that "users get routed" paper title is
	clearly an insulting pun. The motherfucker is making FUN of
	the idiots who get 'rooted' 'routed' using his garbage network.
	Incredible.

> And that he gets off on being clever. So I consider it
> possible that he was just fucking with them. It amuses me.

	Well, enjoy your amusement...

> But anyway, it's pointless to argue about people's motivations. What
> we have now is Tor. Do we ignore it, or make the best of it?
>
> I say that it's better than nothing. You disagree. So it goes.

	That's your personal preference, not an argument.

	And the "better than nothing" bit has been addressed ad
	nauseam. Cheap VPNs are also 'better than nothing'.

> Whoever controls Tor Project is misrepresenting it. We agree on that.
>
> What we disagree about is how badly they are misrepresenting it.

	OK.

> > 	If you don't want to use basic reasoning skills and want to
> > 	ignore evidence regarding how far the sabotage of internet
> > 	'security' goes, that's your problem.
>
> So tell me again, what would you have people use instead of Tor?

	Tell me, do you like cats?

> >> do agree that it's prudent to be suspicious. But no better
> >> alternatives have been implemented.
> >
> > 	So what. You know, to me you sound like a christian who
> > 	want to believe bullshit because he doesn't want to face
> > 	reality. Is the tor fairy tale comforting?
>
> Same question. What to use, if not Tor? Nothing? How is that better?

	I can't recall if I mentioned VPNs? Freenet? Maidsafe, if they
	ever finish it? I don't know.

	Have the 'cypherpunks' create something? Aren't some
	'cypherpunks' rather rich? And what about the people who bought
	bitcoins at 10 cents? Can't they put their money where their
	mouths are?

	Ah no. Better to use the pentagon's fake anonimity network.

> >> So the best option that I see is
> >> layering stuff. Route Tor through nested VPNs. Route Mixmaster,
> >> Pond, Bitmessage, etc through Tor. Encrypt private stuff with
> >> GnuPG.
> >
> > 	Not the issue at hand...
>
> Huh?
>
> What the bloody hell do you mean by that?

	I'm not focussing on how to apply patches to
	broken-by-design tor at the moment...

> > 	If you expect help from the establishment you certainly are
> > fucked.
>
> You work with what you have.

	That is absurd. If what you have is not fitted for the task at
	hand you are just wasting your time.