Call for input to President's Commission on Enhancing Cybersecurity

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Wed Jul 20 22:58:35 PDT 2016

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 08:57:52PM -0400, John wrote:

> >> I am confident that even after the collapse, businesses running 98
> >and XP
> >> will still be paying for support q:
> >
> >I never understood why folks upgraded from WfWG3.1 - 98 was -never- as
> >stable, except when nothing was installed (including drivers). Not to
> >mention those ghastly green hills...

Actually, it was WfWG 3.11, to be precise. I only had Windows 3.1, and
lusted after the full windows for worgroups edition...

> I never understood why anyone would run Windows -at all-.  Linux and
> *BSD have both been totally usable for 20+ years now...

I did not know about Linux back then - I had actually heard about gcc
and tried to download it on an old loaner PC running DOS that I had at
the time, but I was getting only 1200baud! After 12 hours, reading
enough to realise I'd be doing a lot of swapping just to use it, I
figured I would wait until after upgrading to one of the new beaut
24/32kbps spangled modems and a better PC.

A few years later someone I was working with brought in a slackware full
CD set, and I was pleasantly amazed. Memory is not the best so there are
probably other events in between.