the most annoying thing about Juan

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Tue Jul 19 23:36:10 PDT 2016

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 05:08:04AM +0000, Sean Lynch wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 19, 2016, 17:29 Ted Smith <tedks at riseup.net> wrote:
>
> > Feel free to tell me how any of that relates, even remotely, to what I
> > said.
>
> I think his point is that he would welcome such discussion about other
> countries.
>
> Russia has been the West's "whipping boy" since the USSR collapsed. Instead
> of dismantling the cold war apparatus as it should have, the US and NATO
> just kept right on going. In my opinion the cold warriors and their
> children have been trying desperately to ignite a new cold war, and it
> seems to me they've succeeded.
>
> One thing I don't quite understand is, why cypherpunks? I don't think you
> will find many pro-US-government folks here aside from the fed moles.
> Recruiting maybe? The latest Russian surveillance law will probably put a
> damper on that.

Not to mention our Aussie post 9/11 gestapo legislation which has snuck
under the radar and never been repealed. Australia is now just awaiting
a modern Hitler to "put it to good use" - detention without lawyer
because "terrorist", no right to say you are detained, or why, to your
family, indefinite detainment, no right to trial by jury, no nothing. If
you're a terrst, you're gone! Pretty sure we have similarly bad comms
legislation to Russia.

I proposed an cypherPlusPunks list (or "politicopunks" or
"anythingpunks"), but a few folks suggested it probably would not be
useful, and that this list, being anarchist and all, was not really up
for censoship of any kind.

My thesis is that everything we do, everything we say, everything we
code, -is- politics to a greater degree. The geopolitical status today
is hectic, and possibly getting worse by the month. And so, we need to
focus on whatever we can possibly do to bring this beast called the USA
down to a soft landing for the rest of the world.

Whatever it takes, this is our primary goal.

After that, we can get back to our lives in general.