Two Different Instructors On Using Tor Crypto Etc...

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Mon Jul 18 03:45:19 PDT 2016

On 07/18/2016 03:55 AM, stef wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 12:52:11AM -0600, Mirimir wrote:
>> On 07/17/2016 01:17 AM, grarpamp wrote:
>>> https://securityinabox.org/en/about
>>> http://bpo4ybbs2apk4sk4.onion/
>>
>> It doesn't mention Whonix! WTF?
>
> most of this is pre-snowden stuff, there has been little updates in the last
> few years. it's quite a bit of work not only to maintain this (new screenshots
> for changing UIs over the years) and then also translating all this in all the
> languages in which it is available. dunno if ttc had attracted more funding to
> update siab lately.

I guess. But damn, an up-to-date English version makes more sense to me.

>> This would not have protected people against FBI attacks on users of
>
> i contributed to siab but i stopped recommending it 1-2 years ago, as i have
> similar concerns as you regarding the material.

Sad.

>> Freedom Hosting and PlayPen. If FBI does that shit, do you think that
>> NSA doesn't? Or that your other favorite evil TLAs don't?
>
> the clients of the above linked material are usually (sadly) aligned with the
> interests of US foreign policy. and just like with tor (also the basis for
> whonix as you surely know) i'm not surprised the US is sponsoring something
> they can break, but provides some cover for the pawns in their geopolitical
> interests.

My current working hypothesis is that Tor is not broken/breakable by
design. But I've become increasingly concerned by the continuing
emphasis on Tor browser (easy to install but easily compromised) and
omission of Whonix (harder to install but much harder to compromise). It
is arguable that ease of use trumps strong protection, in that there's
greater net benefit. But less charitably, maybe the need for numerous
users to hide among trumps everything else.