UK gov says new Home Sec will have powers to ban end-to-end encryption

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Sun Jul 17 08:12:46 PDT 2016

On Sun, Jul 17, 2016 at 03:09:17PM +0100, Peter Fairbrother wrote:
> On 17/07/16 12:37, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
>
> >First part:
> >
> >>Thing is, while the Bill isn't good, it doesn't have anything at all to do
> >>with banning end-to-end encryption. Or banning any sort of encryption.
> >

> >Second part:
> >
> >>It can require "relevant operators" to maintain some backdoors, most
> >>obviously in mobile link encryption and some VPNs and other encrypted links
> >>which are operated by "relevant operators".
> >>
> >>Less obviously, it can be applied to some websites and the like.
> >

> >Third part, which is really the first part repeated, for kicks:
> >
> >>But there is no power to ban encryption anywhere in the Bill.
> >

> >TADAAA!!!
> >

> >And the winner is - no one! This is sad. The bill is sad. Your
> >interpretation is self contradictory.
>

> Err, how?
>
> The bill gives powers to require some backdoors [1], but it
> doesn't ban encryption in any form.

Peter, I think you need to read up on what is a "backdoor", what is
"encryption" and how they relate to each other, and therefore how your
persistent statement that the Act "doesn't ban encryption" is either a
folly to say on your part (I'm only just still assuming) or an
intentional furfy (hard for me to believe anyone knowledgeable would try
that on this list, since everyone on this list (I assume) has no trouble
identifying the folly in your many conflicting statements.

Have you done any computer programming?

If not, that would be a really good thing for you to do - there are some
very nice languages and programming environments (IDEs, REPL shells etc)
compared to what we had in our day, so it should be an enjoyable, and
hopefully enlightening experience for you.

There's no point repeating the mulberry bush roundabout, since it's
about to get frustrating for me (and probably already has for most of
the kind and patient folks on this cp list whom are probably quite a
bit cleverer than you or I).

Chalk this one up to a learning experience Peter and let it go for now -
your enthusiasm is a good thing, but when it comes to communications
security, your lack of understanding is very, very dangerous to those
need actual security and who mistake your authoritative words for actual
authority and actual understanding on your part - that's a dangerous
thing for those who need communications security, you would be in some
cases putting actual lives at risk. Stop that.

Learning is fun - enjoy the ride.

--
Free Australia: www.UPMART.org
Please respect the confidentiality of this email as sensibly warranted.