gmail usage

John Newman jnn at synfin.org
Wed Jul 6 09:28:41 PDT 2016

On Thu, Jul 07, 2016 at 01:13:54AM +1000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 06, 2016 at 10:22:18AM -0400, John Newman wrote:
> Renting a VPS is not ownership of the server/host.
>
> If you don't own or at least control (physical access and all) the
> hardware, your server's RAM is owned/pwned.
>
> Think: VM is migrated across the hosting provider network, RAM and all.
>
> Think: Root in the host, has access to RAM of all guests.
>
> Think.

Yes, I'm well aware of this distinction :)

However, I consider it a fair trade off against consolidating all my
email and contacts in plain text to google. You have to pick your
battles. Find a hosting provider you can trust, or at least think
you can trust, HEH.

Alternatively, just lease a small 1U box. I had this service for
free for like 10 years working at various ISPs.

Of course, you STILL don't control any of the switching or routing
fabric or whatever netwitness style gestapo software they may be
running outside your rack... and this is true even if you were to
run everything at home off your personal cable modem/DSL. You don't
control the upstream from your house.

--
John