gmail usage

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Wed Jul 6 06:38:43 PDT 2016

On Wed, Jul 06, 2016 at 08:05:29AM -0400, John Newman wrote:
> Do any gmail users (which I've noticed there a lot of on the list,
> as well as in real life, heh) feel at all threatened by what Google
> is doing with access to your entire mail stream?

I had technical reasons to need to, and then momentum and a stream of
life events meant it took me ~8 years (since pre general availability
when it was invite only) to break that addiction!

That's long time to be without a libre email stack, and a long time to
be dependent on a company that, to justify the money they take from the
NSA, having already stopped saying "do no evil" a few years back when
they went into China, -now- has to further say:

> They've publicly
> stated users have no "reasonable expectation of privacy".

Build your own network. Rollout your own home servers/ open stack/
etc.

It's the only way you will ever get any "reasonable expectation of
privacy" honoured!

Enjoy the ride, too :)

> Setting up your own mail server
> (postfix+spamassasin+...clamav+..whatever) isn't really that hard,
> although you gotta pay a hosting fee,

Few ISPs provide a fixed IP address for free if you ask, some certainly
provide a fixed IP if you pay a little extra every month.

Recommended to have two IP addresses too - have fun :)