using gnupg with mutt

John Newman jnn at synfin.org
Sat Jul 2 17:02:25 PDT 2016

> On Jul 1, 2016, at 10:32 PM, Zenaan Harkness <zen at freedbms.net> wrote:
>
> Does anyone know how to have an automatic association between a pgp
> public key and a 'specified by me' email address?
>
> As in, some people create gpg keys which do not include their email
> address, and I would have thought it trivial for me, in my own keyring,
> to associate a public key I have received, with one or more email
> addresses of my choosing (and / or the person's name, as fair as I know
> the name etc).
>
> gpg --edit-key HASH
> brings up a prompt, and help gives things like trust and list, and there
> is a "notation" sub command which sounds perfect for the job, but can
> only operate on private keys, not public keys.
>
> This all does not make sense to me. When someone sends me an email,
> signed with their private key, and I get a copy of their public key, I
> should be able to associate their public key, with their email address,
> even if their own signing of their pub/sub public key does not include
> that particular (or any) email address.
>
> What gives?
>
> TIA

In the case of someone not including their email address in their key, you will probably need to just save the message to a file, pop into the shell, and verify manually... which I realize isn't what you're looking for!

I'll poke around my mutt config when I get to a real computer, seems maybe you could play with the pgp_verify_command (setting is something like that..), although mutt+gpg always a little fragile IME (although def works)....

--
John