"Deleting WhatsApp chats doesn’t delete shit nothing."

Rayzer rayzer@riseup.net
Thu Jul 28 18:37:22 PDT 2016

Apple’s iMessage too! ("Signal leaves virtually nothing.")

Quote source @thegrugq, Twitter
https://twitter.com/thegrugq/status/758833939020521472

WhatsApp Forensic Artifacts: Chats Aren’t Being Deleted

Posted on July 28, 2016

Sorry, folks, while experts are saying the encryption checks out in
WhatsApp, it looks like the latest version of the app tested leaves
forensic trace of all of your chats, even after you’ve deleted, cleared,
or archived them… even if you “Clear All Chats”. In fact, the only way
to get rid of them appears to be to delete the app entirely.

To test, I installed the app and started a few different threads. I then
archived some, cleared, some, and deleted some threads. I made a second
backup after running the “Clear All Chats” function in WhatsApp. None of
these deletion or archival options made any difference in how deleted
records were preserved. In all cases, the deleted SQLite records
remained intact in the database.

More, including 'How WhatsApp Can Fix This':
http://www.zdziarski.com/blog/?p=6143