Methods of Exercising Control over the Direction of Discourse

Steve Kinney admin at pilobilus.net
Sun Jan 31 04:59:04 PST 2016

On 01/31/2016 06:03 AM, coderman wrote:
> On 1/29/16, Ryan Carboni <ryacko at gmail.com> wrote:
>> ... It is important to troll undesirable activists. It
>> creates a low-grade trauma (which may increase social
>> withdrawal and increased sensitivity to threats), makes them
>> distrust certain common aspects of the trolls (through mental
>> association), and wastes their time.
>
> esoteric satire subtly applied to test trollishness, underlying
> undercurrent of deceit or goodwill; decentralization demands a
> self sufficient node!

The controversial post that started this discussion directly
quotes the key messaging of current campaigns for the restraint of
speech and enforcement of racial and gender quotas, especially
targeting college campuses - now also targeting collaborative
software development projects, their mailing lists and even CPunks.

Does this phenomenon represent spontaneous demands for justice
arising from the awakening social conscience of Amerika's best and
brightest, or a black propaganda campaign working to drive wedges
between dissident factions and demographics?  I do not think it
matters.  I think the functional consequences of that campaign and
the response it elicits do matter.

Crypto-Anarchy has an inherent agenda of enabling populist
political resistance, organization and uprisings.  To whatever
extent this agenda could find applications in real life, it merits
hostile attention from State sponsored actors.  Depicting the
CPunk and Hacker communities as gangs of racist misogynists, and
prodding them in ways designed to provoke open mockery of any such
concerns, makes strategic sense in this context.

It always pays to outclass the opposition, in word /and/ deed.
Trolls, Buffoons and Lunaticks have their uses and some get paid;
but they have no staying power and eventually land on the rubbish
heap.  It is said that a wise person may choose to act like a
fool, but that a fool can not choose to act like a wise person.
Let the great sorting begin...  or, heh heh, stop it if you can.

:o)