FOIA: National Reconnaissance Office NROL-39 Octopus Mission Patch

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at rushpost.com
Sun Jan 24 20:54:12 PST 2016

On Fri, 2016-01-22 at 07:45 -0800, Rayzer wrote:
> Shawn K. Quinn wrote:
> > I get that you think this FOIA request was a waste of time. However, I
> > disagree completely, and I think we do have a right to know who came up
> > with this rather creepy logo. It is definitely an eye-opener to me that
> > "A little sinister!!" wasn't enough to discourage the final "OK" on it.
> > Honestly, this logo should never have made it out into the world; I
> > think the world would be a better place if an alternative logo had been
> > developed and all copies of the existing one shredded, overwritten with
> > zeros, degaussed, etc as appropriate.
> >

> You forgot to extract your tongue from cheek.

Perhaps my phrasing sucked... let me rephrase:

The least the people behind this program could have done, was not waste
further taxpayer money on a logo which was described as "A little
sinister!!!" from one the people in charge of approving it. Honestly, as
issued, I consider the logo disgraceful and un-American. The only silver
lining to this cloud is that we have some transparency regarding its
approval, which admittedly is not much of a silver lining.