FBI on MLK Jr.

Michael Best themikebest at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 08:46:19 PST 2016

It didn't take as long as I thought it might to put the info together.

In December 1993, Lloyd Jowers appeared on ABC's Prime Time Live and
related the details of an alleged conspiracy involving the Mafia and the
U.S. government to kill King. According to Jowers, James Earl Ray was a
scapegoat, and was not responsible for the assassination. Jowers said that
he hired Memphis police Lieutenant Earl Clark to fire the fatal shot. The
existence of such a conspiracy, and Jowers' involvement, was supported in
the verdict of a 1998 court case which was brought against Jowers by the
King family. The allegations and the finding of the Memphis jury were later
rejected by the United States Department of Justice in 2000.

In 1998, the King family filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Jowers and
"other unknown co-conspirators" for the murder of King. The King family was
represented by attorney William Pepper, who had previously served as the
attorney of James Earl Ray, King's formerly accused assassin. After four
weeks of testimony and over 70 witnesses in a civil trial in Memphis,
Tennessee, twelve jurors reached a unanimous verdict on December 8, 1999
after about an hour of deliberations that Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was
assassinated as a result of a conspiracy which also involved "others,
including governmental agencies."

Mrs. Coretta Scott King commented on the verdict, saying, “There is
abundant evidence of a major high level conspiracy in the assassination of
my husband, Martin Luther King, Jr. And the civil court's unanimous verdict
has validated our belief. I wholeheartedly applaud the verdict of the jury
and I feel that justice has been well served in their deliberations. This
verdict is not only a great victory for my family, but also a great victory
for America."

Page includes Investigation and Trial resources:

   - Coretta Scott King, et al. VS. Loyd Jowers, et al trial transcript (*13
   volumes, 2,735 pages*)
   - Trial Evidence
   - Department of Justice Investigation and Report
   - King Family Press Conference on the MLK Assassination Trial Verdict

Full report and links posted to
http://that1archive.neocities.org/subfolder1/MLK-assassination-trial.html
​
--Mike