Former Spy Chief Reveals Secret Strategies for Undermining Freedom, Attacking Religion, and Promoting Terrorism

Steve Kinney admin at pilobilus.net
Wed Jan 13 13:56:27 PST 2016

On 01/12/2016 08:45 AM, Michael Best wrote:

(quoting somebody's ad copy:)

> Indeed, within these pages, Pacepa, along with his co-author,
> historian and law professor Ronald Rychlak, expose some of the
> most consequential yet largely unknown disinformation campaigns
> of our lifetime.

I was very disappointed that the book in question has all the
earmarks of partisan disinformation in and of itself.  The
networked communication revolution has greatly reduced the
usefulness of censorship and secrecy, and disinformation campaigns
have grown dramatically to compensate for this development. We do
need a better understanding and wider public recognition of the
theory, applications and history of black propaganda and
disinformation, if we want to avoid and counter this form of
deception.

In social media venues where populist and/or radical political
interests are prominently represented, black propaganda in support
of State and corporate interests is rampant.  Ideological converts
who promote, defend and embellish disinformation narratives
supplied by front groups dominate many discussions.  These
campaigns do more than poison wells where factual information
suppressed in broadcast media is available.  They also damage the
image and dilute the message of populist and activist groups in
real life, by seeding their organizational meetings and public
events with ideological converts who vocally advocate for
delusional beliefs and self defeating methods.

Using black propaganda and front groups to co-opt, discredit and
neutralize populist and radical movements is an old and well
established feature of political warfare.  Adapting this strategy
to the Internet environment requires new tactics, and presents new
opportunities.  Activist groups targeted for marginalization,
division and termination by well funded adversaries need to adapt
their own techniques to counter new threats and exploit new
opportunities presented by their opponents in the network
environment.

Disinformation has inherent advantages over real information:  It
can be designed from the ground up for simplicity, emotional
appeal and behavioral impact.  Against this, truth has the
advantages of internal consistency, relevance, and appeal to a
more intelligent audience - so, when truth is attacked by
disinformation operators, it needs all the help it can get to
stand even a slight chance of propagating and affecting human
behavior in the real world.

:o/