Sign the Letter to Secure the Internet

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Tue Jan 12 15:39:55 PST 2016

There are indeed similarities of the crypto advocacy crowd with
advocates of guns, which figures because both are classified
as munitions and serve similar purposes.

Gun control could be linked to crypto control, and some cpunks,
in early days at least, emphasized the parallel. "My cold dead hands"
was invoked for gun self-protection and passphrase for privacy
protection.

Other parallels can be seen between cryptographers and weapons
manufacturers pursuing commercial, governmental and user
markets with sales pitches tuned to each category. Dual use
an essential feature, duplicity and dual hats too.

Could be more coming in regulation of cryptographers like gun
manufacturers and dealers. And best, the black market and
underground and warfare tools merchants and of course
informants and betrayers.

Licensed crypto is already at hand througn chips, devices,
algos, OSes and not a few deceptive insertions and implants
emplaced while argument about the crypto war diverts attention.

More crypto cops, overt and covert, sure, why not, that has been
around for a while, almost surely from the beginning of crypto
not to say cpunks and the cryptography lists.