shipping hardware through mail

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 11:10:24 PST 2016

On 1/11/16, Blibbet <blibbet at gmail.com> wrote:
> The physical protections mentioned above do not, however, resolve the
> problem
> of the attackers subverting the laptop hardware at manufacturing

USB Armory has schematics available, and you can verify the (locked)
bootloader on it as well. verifying these schematics, that's a bit
more difficult. (for another thread :)

> or shipment stages. This includes, naturally, a potentially conspiring laptop vendor.

i get my Armories from Josh, in person, and he's legit. i haven't
ruled out tampering in the bulk shipments he gets, however.
(ongoing... :)

> In order to address this latter problem we – the industry – need to come up
> with reliable and simple methods for comparing PCBs with each other. A tool
> analogical to ‘diff’, only working for PCBs rather than on files.

yup, those are worthwhile techniques. you've got the Gerbers, so to
speak, in USB Armory, and could do a limited run yourself with a local
vendor (local meaning maybe only a couple states away, depending.)

best regards,