FBI Digital Forensic Examination: A Case Study

juan juan.g71 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 17:40:49 PST 2016

On Thu, 7 Jan 2016 05:42:35 -0500
Michael Best <themikebest at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry, I didn't finish that thought.
>
> That was the point - that 99% of the time it's not some super secret
> next-next-gen ECHELON CSI super-crap that gets someone, it's the
> little things. Enhanced prints, broken tail lights, an unmasked IP
> address, shit like that.

	You don't know if that happens 99% of the time. I highly doubt
	it does.

	Fact remains, the kind of access that governments have to
	electronic communications enables them to catch lots of people
	for whatever 'crime' they want.

> To put it in a metaphor, so many people waste so much time worrying
> about super-thieves getting past their laser grid that they never
> realize when they have their pocket picked, etc.

	That may be true sometimes, but government surveillance remains
	a pretty serious threat, and the claim that the cops catch
	people doing 'old fashioned' 'police work' is mostly a smoke
	screen/propaganda.