request for comment re "contributor-covenant.org"

shakeitoff at ghostmail.com shakeitoff at ghostmail.com
Sun Jan 31 07:01:04 PST 2016

>> Cypherpunks defines government as “a home for bullies masquerading as a

>> collective defense.” Interestingly, that is how I would describe your above

>> approach.

> These two sentences are approaching incoherent. Would you like to try

> again? It is probably not constructive for me to respond to

> incoherence - there is perhaps some truth or pain or seeking which has

> not been expressed clearly, which I would hope you feel confident

> about expressing, or re- attempting to express - such is in our

> collective interests.

The main worry is when “gleeful roasting” slips into bullying and irreversible harm. It's easy for a collective group to shout someone out for the wrong reasons.

Censorship is not the answer to this. But having plain, honest, thoughtful conversations might be.

>> Look around. Do the people around you look like you? Think like you? Come

>> from the same background as you?

>> This is a problem.

> So say you.

> Making you assertion is presently an island waiting for supporters -

> nothing more than a political position in search of part members. This

> is not the place for such superficiality. I personally seek deeper

> conversation.

If you create an environment that is conducive to only one socioeconomic class, you lose individuals who are strong technologists, but whom don’t fit a certain race/gender/economic profile.

It is a loss for the community when strong technologists leave because they do not fit the socioeconomic culture of the majority. Especially when considering what this group is fundamentally trying to resist.

>From my own personal experience- when a group is diverse, one’s own race/gender/economic background matters less and fades into the background.

This is the ideal- to not even have to talk/think about socioeconomic issues, and focus on common issues- on how to reverse the end of privacy, on writing code, on ensuring strong cryptography.

> Do you assert that you would like a particular communication space to

> exist, which does not currently exist, but which is somehow similar to

> cypherpunks mailing list, but perhaps a little different?

No, there is nothing begrudging. I’m here because I want to be useful to ensure that privacy and personal liberty and privacy continue to exist. And to learn.

This is the ask:  don’t let this be a space where someone has to struggle between alignment to the cypherpunks ideology (writing code, ensuring privacy and liberty, preserving cryptography) and alienation because of one’s socioeconomic background.

Also, let us not forget who the real enemy is.

Thank you.

        Sent from secure GhostMail. Easy and free encrypted email, chat and cloud storage, free sign up here: https://www.ghostmail.com