Tor Project Crowdsources over $200k, Overall, 75% of funding comes from 'da feds'

Rayzer Rayzer at riseup.net
Fri Jan 22 16:13:21 PST 2016

Just a note for those who weren't keeping track back in 'the day' and
think a project's funding source itself affects project outcomes. Abbie
Hoffman got the funding for the Cooper Square Free Store, where
Yippie!'s plans to disrupt the 1968 Democratic National Convention were
hatched, from a YMCA grant for "Youth Services".

If you're a 'revolutionary', you're a dead man on furlough anyway and
the more people use tor, the more cost-prohibitive it becomes for 'da
feds' to stalk them. I consider anti-tor sentiments to intrinsically
play into the hands of [insert evil gubmint name here] intel agencies.

--
RR
"Freedom is the capacity to pause between stimulus and response." ~Rollo May

Tor Project raises over $200,000 in attempt to “diversify” its funding

/Activist group took in about $2.5M in 2014, mostly from US government
sources./

As a result of its recent crowdfunding campaign, the Tor Project
announced
<https://blog.torproject.org/blog/transparency-openness-and-our-2014-financials>
Thursday that it had raised over $200,000 from more than 5,000
individuals over nearly two months.

The organization also released its 2014 Form 990
<https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/2696858-2014-TorProject-Combined-Form990-PC-Audit-Results.html>,
the financial document that all nonprofits must file with the IRS.

As of 2014, the organization took in about $2.5 million
<https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/2696858-2014-TorProject-Combined-Form990-PC-Audit-Results.html#document/p17/a272897> annually,
roughly 75 percent of that coming from grants from
US government institutions such as Radio Free Asia and the State Department.

Shari Steele, the new head of the Tor Project, told Ars recently
<http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/01/going-forward-the-tor-project-wants-to-be-less-reliant-on-us-govt-funding/>
that the organization wants to diversify its funding and, over time,
become less reliant on government sources of income.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2016/01/tor-project-raises-over-200000-in-attempt-to-diversify-its-funding/