CREST: CIA Records Search Tool

Lee ler762 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 12:26:13 PST 2016

On 1/17/16, Michael Best <themikebest at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Not at all weird; it seems pretty effective to me.  Over 11 million
>> pages "released" and only 10% _printed_ (as in someone would have to
>> scan the page to get it back into electronic format) sounds like a
>> pretty good access control system for something you don't really want
>> to make public.
>

> Unfortunately you're right. The weird part to me is the way it's justified
> and presented as a transparency tool! Double speak never dies, I suppose.
> =(

Where is it presented as a transparency tool?  They seem to be real
clear about what they're doing:
  "In order to directly access CREST, a researcher must visit the
National Archives at
   College Park, Maryland. CIA recognizes that such visits may be
inconvienent and
   present an obstacle to many researchers."

Regards,
Lee