Chaum Fathers Bastard Child To RubberHose ... PrivaTegrity cMix

Alex Stahl alex at testcore.net
Mon Jan 11 22:15:36 PST 2016

Actually, the nine servers are not operated by Chaum.  They're operated by "highly skilled
people in this room who know how to build and run a secure data center".

At least that's what he said at the talk I witnessed where he unveiled it.

Additionally, Chaum's design allows an entity operating one of the servers to introduce their
own policy - "it's not up to me what policy you want to introduce; the system is neutral".

So, first of all there's Chaum's obvious failure to recognize that in the same room are the
exact people who could hack into a "secure data center".

Second, he implied that, with the use of these policies, if a message were to traverse a
network with nodes operated by the US, Canada, Egypt, India, Pakistan, Iran, Russia, China
and Japan, it would require the admins from those countries to all agree to decrypt, turning
the solution into a political - not mathematical - one.

Now, I'm personally hardly a supporter of the idea, and hate the fact that Chaum's idea lends
credibility to Comey's "smart people just need to work on it" position.  In fact, I consider any
sort of backdoored system tantamount to treason to cryptography, and antithetical to its
purpose.

But I do think it's important to debate on the actual facts at hand.

- A