US Pres Cand's Clinton, Sanders, O'Malley... All For Crypto Backdoors, Secret Negotiations

grarpamp grarpamp@gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 11:12:30 PST 2016

http://it.slashdot.org/story/16/01/18/1659205/clinton-hints-at-tech-industry-compromise-over-encryption
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti2Nokoq1J4&t=2h27m08s
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2016/01/18/hillary-clinton-hints-at-apple-facebook-compromise-over-encryption_n_9008034.html

At the Democratic presidential debate last night, Marques Brownlee
asked the candidates a pointed question about whether the government
should require tech companies to implement backdoors in their
encryption, and how we should balance privacy with security. The
backdoors. Martin O'Malley said the government should have to get a
warrant, but skirted the rest of the issue. Bernie Sanders said
government must "have Silicon Valley help us" to discover information
transmitted across the internet by ISIS and other terrorist
organizations. He thinks we can do that without violating privacy, but
didn't say how. But the most interesting comment came from Hillary
Clinton. After mentioning that Obama Administration officials had
"started the conversation" with tech companies on the encryption
issue, one of the moderators noted that the government "got nowhere"
with its requests. Clinton replied, "That is not what I've heard. Let
me leave it at that." The implications of that small comment are
troubling.