CREST: CIA Records Search Tool

Michael Best themikebest@gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 11:55:32 PST 2016

I'm spending a fair amount of time at NARA II. Any thoughts on how I might
be able to automate retrieval of documents from the CREST database? There
are about 10 million pages of CIA docs that haven't even been accessed,
much less made their way online.

Since 2000, CIA has installed and maintained an electronic full-text
searchable system, which it has named CREST (the CIA Records Search Tool),
at NARA II in College Park, Maryland. *Over 11 million pages have been
released in electronic format and reside on the CREST database, from which
researchers have printed about 1.1 million pages. **In order to directly
access CREST, a researcher must visit the National Archives at College
Park, Maryland.*
http://www.foia.cia.gov/collection/crest-25-year-program-archive