Instead of Apple tasking a coder to work on cracking that iPhone...

Rayzer Rayzer at riseup.net
Thu Feb 25 07:51:12 PST 2016

Georgi Guninski wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 04:06:27PM -0800, Rayzer wrote:
>> FWIW I don't see how the feds can force Apple to assign an employee to
>> do anything not in their job description without violating that
>> employee's contract, or their civil rights, and writing code to crack
>> phones isn't in any Apple job description, but tightening phone security
>> is...
>>
> I am pretty sure this won't stop Apple if they want to unlock it.
>
> Are you familiar with their job descriptions (I am not)?

It might fit in the QA end of the biz. Someone has to test security.
Whether your agreement with the company allows them to 'contract' you to
a 3rd party's task... I REALLY doubt it judging from my industrial end
(drive manufacturing) experience. They're really REALLY concerned about
letting any information about the creation of the product out of their
grasp. It probably violates you confidentiality and intellectual
property agreement with the company.

Can the government make you violate that agreement? Can they make Apple
change it's agreement with you? Can the government force you to change a
worker's job description or hire/accept a government contract worker or
employee?

Iow, tell you how to run your business...

Dunno. But IF an employee claimed confidentiality and intellectual
property agreement as rationale for non-cooperation... Would the
government also go after that employee? Force Apple to discipline or
fire them?

It's gonna be interesting to see how this goes, but I suspect Apple will
cooperate, in secret b/c FISC/A, and do the government's bidding. If
they really can. We may never find out.

> According to links here from this month, few years ago Apple unlocked many phones per feds requests.

Yes, but those phones didn't have the self-destruct code if I remember
correctly. Apple claims it can't work around it.

--
RR
"Through counter-intelligence it should be possible to pinpoint potential trouble-makers ... And neutralize them, neutralize them, neutralize them"