[FORGED] Samsung Warns Customers: Watch Your Mouth

Kurt Buff kurt.buff at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 19:43:30 PST 2016

On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 6:09 PM, Peter Gutmann
<pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
> grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com> writes:
>
>>Voice recognition, which allows the user to control the TV using voice
>>commands, is a Samsung Smart TV feature, which can be activated or
>>deactivated by the user.
>
> ... which can then be reactivated by anyone who walks through the 6.022e23
> security holes that come preconfigured in any "smart" TV.

A mole in the home - nice.

>>The TV owner can also disconnect the TV from the Wi-Fi network.
>
> ... thus reducing it to a dumb TV.

And why should it be smart? AFAICT, "smart", anymore, WRT to all
thnngs consumer/IoT, means nothing more than "spies on you".

> (Anyone know how long a TV will run like that, without any access to the
> constant stream of communication those things want to engage in?).

I don't care about that - I've got a 1080p projector and a bluray
player, and buy disks from the bin with cash. If and when 4k
projectors come down to a reasonable level I might (maybe) buy one of
those and a matching player.

Kurt