Brit spies can legally hack PCs and phones, say Brit spies' overseers

Steve Kinney admin at pilobilus.net
Sat Feb 13 12:56:57 PST 2016

On 02/13/2016 12:45 PM, Lee wrote:
> On 2/13/16, Georgi Guninski <guninski at guninski.com> wrote:
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/02/12/uk_rules_gchq_hacking_leg
al/

Brit spies can legally hack PCs and phones, say Brit spies' overseer

> I'm wondering how well it's going to go over with the USG that
> Brit spies can legally hack US computers.  Not that I don't
> trust The Reg or anything, but I wanted to see how well their
> story matched up with the ruling.  Guess what?  The PDF of the
> ruling has gone missing :)
>
> http://www.ipt-uk.com/section.aspx?pageid=8 The Tribunal is
> required by law (RIPA section 69(6)(b)) not to disclose
> material provided to it which would threaten the national
> interest, national security, operations against serious crime
> or any functions of the intelligence agencies. However, it has
> concluded that publication of a ruling on a point of law or on
> the basis of assumed facts does not compromise these areas or
> the ‘neither confirm nor deny’ principle by which the
> intelligence agencies operate. It seeks where possible to
> publish its judgments.
>

> I guess somebody decided it was best not to publish that
> particular ruling.

I don't recall just now where I saw this, so I can not be sure of
its accuracy, but I am under the impression that existing policy
reciprocally allows Brits and Yanks to spy on each other's
peasantry, as long as they share back the intelligence gained.
Maybe a bit less so with the rest of the EU, but with US/UK a
certain historical and technological unity of 'security interests'
shapes public policy on issues related to all aspects of espionage..
.

Oh, wait, that was easy:  I was more or less right.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UKUSA#Controversy

:o/