Brit spies can legally hack PCs and phones, say Brit spies' overseers

Lee ler762 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 09:45:37 PST 2016

On 2/13/16, Georgi Guninski <guninski at guninski.com> wrote:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/02/12/uk_rules_gchq_hacking_legal/
>
> Brit spies can legally hack PCs and phones, say Brit spies' overseers

I'm wondering how well it's going to go over with the USG that Brit
spies can legally hack US computers.  Not that I don't trust The Reg
or anything, but I wanted to see how well their story matched up with
the ruling.  Guess what?  The PDF of the ruling has gone missing :)

http://www.ipt-uk.com/section.aspx?pageid=8
The Tribunal is required by law (RIPA section 69(6)(b)) not to
disclose material provided to it which would threaten the national
interest, national security, operations against serious crime or any
functions of the intelligence agencies. However, it has concluded that
publication of a ruling on a point of law or on the basis of assumed
facts does not compromise these areas or the ‘neither confirm nor
deny’ principle by which the intelligence agencies operate. It seeks
where possible to publish its judgments.

I guess somebody decided it was best not to publish that particular ruling.

Lee