Self Preservation and Irreversible Decline [was: Electronic Freedom Foundation selective in support of freedom]

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Sun Feb 7 02:48:07 PST 2016

On 1/16/16, juan <juan.g71 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jan 2016 03:33:49 +0000
> Zenaan Harkness <zen at freedbms.net> wrote:

>> - whereas with direct democracy 'the people' only have themselves to
>> blame, since they vote for/against every single law and executive
>> order,
>
> 	Well, that would be at least more interesing and honest than
> 	the system we currently have. The problem remains though, some
> 	people seem to believe that whatever a majority votes for is
> 	automatically good or legitimate.

Yes that's a problem with (most) people it seems.

That's where the right to individual objection, non-consent or
"political protest" would perhaps have a far better chance of survival
in direct democracy -> where an individual demonstrates an issue which
a few handfuls of other people consider valid, then hi ho, hi ho, it's
off to the ballot we go -> which is what I thought (when I was young,
which was at least a few dozen moments ago) democracy was supposed to
be.