Publishing CIA's Declassified Vault

Michael Best themikebest at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 14:57:43 PST 2016

I'm aware of the restrictions, and you misunderstood the plan.

The scanner won't be going to the National Archives. Documents are printed
out from the computers provided by CIA in room 3000 using their laser
printers, then taken from the archive after being checked and placed in one
of the green security bags. (I've done this several times, including today.
It's how I got the Project Truth report and some other goodies.)

The flatbed scanner restriction is for scanning original archive materials
only, since the risk of damaging them is genuinely unacceptable. (The
flatbed restriction is also a bit inaccurate since there are non-flatbed
scanners that are allowed - it's more accurate to say that what's forbidden
are scanners with moving parts that can interact with the paper or
material.)

--Mike