Instead of Apple tasking a coder to work on cracking that iPhone...

Rayzer Rayzer at riseup.net
Thu Feb 25 13:16:38 PST 2016

Steve Kinney wrote:
> Insubordination is always grounds for dismissal

It's NOT insubordination if it's NOT your job description. Telling a
coder whose never done anything besides sit at a desk and code they need
to do janitorial tasks for instance.

Telling someone who writes crypto that it's also their job to torture
test it is going to step on the QA director's toes, ya think? If anyone
can be legitimately tasked, it would be the QA department.

It's also dysfunctional to let someone who created the code test it.

That's like letting a machinist who created the part certify it's
Mil-spec 415-D compliance.

Otoh Apple COULD change the job description... IF they want to
re-negotiate the person's salary.

If that person walked I'd speculate there'd be dozens of companies
willing to hire them just because they walked instead of cooperating
with the feds.

> they can just hire any skill sets they don't already have on hand

The government can't require them to hire anyone.

Further, If the government forces them to add a government paid
contractor or govt employee they could sue for damages caused by
reputation loss with their commercial vendors who buy and sell their
products and material. I'll bet they can easily prove it too! By
charting the DIVE iPhone sales take if they publicly cooperate.

All in all the government demanding a private entity do ANYTHING without
the full force of the law, not JUST some interpretation by the DOJ
backed by some district court hack is a dysfunctional mess that would
tie the government up in court until ios is so fucking obsolete no one
even remembers what it was.

But as I said, as soon as this is out of the news, and Apple has made
enough noise to calm their customers, they'll just do it in secret, as
FISC/A requires. If they can.

--
RR
"Through counter-intelligence it should be possible to pinpoint potential trouble-makers ... And neutralize them, neutralize them, neutralize them"