Hacking Team child porn code

Cari Machet carimachet at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 19:28:30 PST 2016

https://github.com/hackedteam/rcs-common/blob/master/lib/rcs-common/evidence/file.rb#L17
> - in support of the claim.
>
> Can someone more programming-proficient than I look at the code and tell
> me 1) what it does overall, and 2) what the highlighted line - which
> mentions "childporn.avi" and "pedoporno.mpg" - does in particular?

>From the code analyst:

Embedded in Galileo code 'pedoporn' 'childporn avi'

One idea - considering hacking team w/FBI and DEA, you can embed that code
to give the appearance that the flagged target is under surveillance for
child porn but since there is already an FBI flag for that, it's a lie.
It's a mask to hide that your surveilling someone but you have no
legitimate legal reason to do it.

a 'childporn.avi' - is a profile pic like an 'avatar' that flags the person
as in a child porn ring but hacking team doesn't do 'rings' - they do
targeted (activists, dissidents etc) surveillance. So that's off and since
it's embedded "placed over the source code" - the LEA is using it to mask
the real reason they are spying on this person

LEA likes to use child porn as a 'plant' - it's like an old school cop
'planting' cocaine on someone they've violated.

END

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/07/massive-leak-reveals-hacking-teams-most-private-moments-in-messy-detail/

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/fbi-spent-775k-hacking-teams-spy-tools-since-2011/