[tor-talk] Using SDR

Sean Lynch seanl at literati.org
Sat Feb 6 12:42:44 PST 2016

On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 10:36 PM jim bell <jdb10987 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> *From:* coderman <coderman at gmail.com>
> *Sbject:* Re: [tor-talk] Using SDR
> On 2/5/16, Sean Lynch <seanl at literati.org> wrote:
> > The older, lower-tech version of this trick is to use a high-gain antenna
> > like the Cantenna or a Yagi to use a public wifi AP from a stealthy,
>
> Initially, I was confused about this.  To me, a "Cantenna" was Heathkit's
> name (in about 1970 or so) for a dummy-load built from a
> 1 gallon paint can with a non-inductive resistor inside, immersed in
> transformer oil, capable of dissipating 1 Kw or so.
> Showing my age.
> Now, on Google-search, I see it as an antenna built with a tin can.

Sorry about that. I had initially considered including a reference, but I
figured it was an easily Googlable term. Name collisions hadn't occurred to
me. My radio knowledge is a mix of modern Ham education and 1950s era Ham
education, the latter because those were the books my tiny middle school
had in its library :)