Intel 8008: 3000+ gates

John Newman jnn at synfin.org
Sun Dec 25 05:01:54 PST 2016

On December 24, 2016 2:07:58 PM EST, grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com> wrote:
>http://www.righto.com/2016/12/die-photos-and-analysis-of_24.html
>
>Die photos and analysis of the revolutionary 8008 microprocessor, 45
>years old
>Intel's groundbreaking 8008 microprocessor was first produced 45 years
>ago.1 This chip, Intel's first 8-bit microprocessor, is the ancestor
>of the x86 processor family that you may be using right now. I
>couldn't find good die photos of the 8008, so I opened one up and took
>some detailed photographs. These new die photos are in this article,
>along with a discussion of the 8008's internal design
>
>Ancient chip, still not a complete reverse engineering.
>No chance at even getting close to that in public with today's chips.
>
>#OpenFabs
>#OpenDesigns

This company's stuff looks interesting, thought I have no idea what the reputation is or how well any of it works -

https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXino/open-source-hardware

"What is OLINUXINO?

OLinuXino is Open Source Software and Open Source Hardware , low cost Linux computer which could be manufactured in Industrial-40+85C and commercial 0-70C temperature grade.

OLinuXino is completely open source hardware and open source software, which means you have access to all the CAD files and sources and you can reuse them for your own personal or commercial projects. There are NO restrictions to manufacturing and selling these boards for your own use or resale. This means security for your business, you own everything and have control."

John