The Power of Privacy

Steve Kinney admin at pilobilus.net
Sun Dec 18 00:18:39 PST 2016

On 12/18/2016 12:05 AM, grarpamp wrote:
> And other compelling videos you list in this thread that introduce
> people to surveillance, datamining, privacy concepts. And that
> might just make you mad, cry, or wow.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGX-c5BJNFk

I found a couple of things to quibble with (left as an exercise), and
I can't say I learned anything new.  But on the whole, a good show.

This presentation is way more scary, concentrating on the collection
capabilities of top tier surveillance actors.  Although "emerging"
technologies are presented as if they were universally implemented
already, I did learn some new things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNZrq2iK87k

Optimum solutions to "the end of privacy" necessarily include
embracing the recording and archiving of our lives as the normal
condition of our world.  Love it or leave it.  The "millennial
generation" gets that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo6UnKr6Bwg

The new transparency only creates an abusive situation where and as
access to everyone's data is restricted to a small number of already
too powerful persons and agencies, who themselves are not subject to
comprehensive surveillance on demand by members of the general public.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVTKHI5ovyc

The well controlled USIC deception operation that exploited Edward
Snowden achieved three objectives:  It put the public on notice that
they are being watched; put Congress on notice that the Security
Services break any law they want with no consequences; and the PRISM
release was timed to wipe the Manning trial all the way out of the
news.  A small corner of this operation peeks out here:

https://youtu.be/R9K5I8SIwoM

The Grugq presents operational security tips for "hacktivists," much
of which is also very applicable to less illegal forms of dissident
political activity - especially with regard to advance planning and
coordination of activities that are likely to draw hostile attention
from police agencies and/or private sector security contractors a.k.a.
mercenaries:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8GPTvq1m-w

:o)