Debian/Ubuntu security apt phun

John Newman jnn at synfin.org
Thu Dec 15 12:23:43 PST 2016

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 09:24:41PM +0200, Georgi Guninski wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 04:07:31PM -0500, John Newman wrote:
> > Naught to do with Debian, but goddam I'm sick of seeing IPs from all over the world logging into our one anon ftp server and recursively trying to upload Photo.scr over and over, until the little monitor script catches and blocks it.
> >

> Lol, what is the address of these nice free ftp space providers?

The logs are actually all "FAIL UPLOAD: Client ..  /blah/blah/Photo.scr"
these days.

There were a couple misconfigured directories owned by ftp:ftp with
mode some fucked up combo of either u+w or g+w where it kept getting
placed, which was fixed a while ago.

> > The file is of course actually a Windows executable, not a ".scr"
> > file...
>
> If you can't run ".scr" natively try it under Wine, why rm it?

I thought (not being a windows user) that ".scr" files were fucking...
images? Screensaver files? Apparently Windows also blithely interprets
them as ".scr"ipts, which includes regular old win32 executable code.
The beautiful aesthetics of Windows. And obviously I never wanted to run
them..

Oh, and its apparently a "monero" miner/virus, not bitcoin. So many
blockchain currencies, so little wattage... Except in Venezuela, of
course :)

John