Aaron Swartz - the real reason he was murdered

Steve Kinney admin at pilobilus.net
Sun Dec 11 20:31:44 PST 2016

On 12/11/2016 07:53 PM, Shawn K. Quinn wrote:
> On 12/11/2016 06:46 PM, Cecilia Tanaka wrote:
>> Z.,
>>
>> ** DO _NOT_ DARE TO TALK ANY SH*T ABOUT AARON. **
>
> Agreed, this is a pretty egregious deviation from standards of
> basic decency. Even the most liberal of moderators would probably
> not let a list subscriber get away with this; that's exactly why
> this list needs some kind of moderation. (NOT censorship,
> moderation.)

Once upon a time, USENET was a Thing.  Moderation a.k.a. "censorship
all right thinking people endorse" was impossible for technical
reasons.  That did not matter much at first, but then came Eternal
September and the waves of clueless lusers, followed fast by spammers
looking to fleece the lusers.  At once, the Flame Warriors rose up and
successfully defended the more sophisticated newsgroups from drowning
in a rising tide of trash.

Then the "real Internet" overshadowed USENET, and even the Ents who
were old when the networks were young went West.  USENET's
infrastructure was colonized, unopposed, by commercial data piracy
services.

If CPunks can not survive a minor influx of weak minded wannabes
brought here by a "hactivist" fashion trend without resort to
censorship, it does not deserve to live.  Where are our Flame
Warriors?  Has the sword that was broken been forgotten and lost, or
can it be made whole again?

Pending the verdict of history, I would encourage users who know what
they don't want to see here to publish lists of addresses recommended
for filtering.  Explaining the criteria that qualify subscribers for
the killfiles provided, along with pleas that a Moderator apply these
criteria to silence all unworthy voices, may provide some amusement.

In this day and age, "wasted bandwidth" in a list that does not
forward binary attachments is Not A Thing.  Those who can't stand the
clutter can killfile non-contributing posters at will.  Those who
can't figure out how to do that or think "it's too haaaard" don't
matter because they don't qualify as "technically competent" and don't
belong here anyway, amirite?

:o)