What is the importance of antimatter?

Ben Tasker ben at bentasker.co.uk
Fri Dec 23 01:55:23 PST 2016

On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 9:20 AM, Georgi Guninski <guninski at guninski.com>
wrote:

> What is the importance of antimatter?
>
> As is known, I don't understand physics.
> The front page of wikipedia links to new results in antimatter
> related to antihydrogen.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antihydrogen
>
> What is the importance of antimatter not counting nukes?

Amongst other things, there's a line of research that suggests that it's
also helpful in treating cancer -
https://horizon-magazine.eu/article/antimatter-and-gamma-rays-help-steer-cancer-killing-machines_en.html

In theory, it could also be used as a fuel in space travel - whether that's
ever going to be doable is something else - the idea being that an
annihilation is pure energy, so if you can direct it, you may be able to
travel quite efficiently.

I don't think there'd be a use in Nukes (as we know them). Theoretically
you could build a similar weapon, but there'd be a huge cost in acquiring
and storing the AM, especially once placed into a weapon. Nukes tend to
fail-safe, whereas a failure in an AM weapon would almost certainly result
in detonation.

> Why antimatter is accepted by the standard model in physics, but
> anti-time and anti-space appear to be considered cranky topic?

I guess it depends on what you mean by anti-time and anti-space. But in
either case, there's a thread of people doing a far better job than I could
of explaining here - http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/51224-anti-space/

--
Ben Tasker
https://www.bentasker.co.uk