Aaron Swartz - the real reason he was murdered

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at rushpost.com
Sun Dec 11 19:09:59 PST 2016

On 12/11/2016 08:58 PM, Mirimir wrote:
> On 12/11/2016 07:28 PM, Shawn K. Quinn wrote:
>> On 12/11/2016 08:18 PM, Mirimir wrote:
>>> So, as with any troll, it's best to ignore him. Rather than call for
>>> moderation, why not just filter his messages? I would never have seen
>>> this, except that Ceci redacted his name. So why should I care what Z_n
>>> or other trolls write to this list? I can't control their speech, and I
>>> believe that attempting it would be immoral.
>>
>> Because the list as a whole is devalued by the continued lack of
>> moderation. This is not whitesupremistneonazipunks, this is cypherpunks.
>> I am not challenging his freedom of speech, but this is not the forum
>> for that. It would be perfectly on-topic for a neo-nazi or KKK list.
>> That is not this list!
>
> I get your concern. Naive users, coming across these messages through
> search sites, might get a bad impression. But please consider that
> freedom and autonomy are key cypherpunk values. Along with technical
> competence. So the best outcome is helping people manage unmoderated
> lists on their own, without reliance on centralized control.

I disagree completely. It's like leaving a few people to do litter
patrol when you have old refrigerators, tires, and abandoned cars being
dumped daily. It's just not going to work.

> Also, please consider that causing grief is the key goal for trolls. And
> consider how forcing an ideologically unmoderated list to moderate
> itself would be _such_ a fucking win for Z_n. No?

It would be the same as police surveillance on a known dumping ground to
catch the people dumping garbage there. Honestly, I fail to see how a
list that's free of racist, neo-Nazi garbage isn't a win for the Rest Of Us.

http://www.rantroulette.com
http://www.skqrecordquest.com