Aaron Swartz - the real reason he was murdered

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Sun Dec 11 18:58:52 PST 2016

On 12/11/2016 07:28 PM, Shawn K. Quinn wrote:
> On 12/11/2016 08:18 PM, Mirimir wrote:
>> So, as with any troll, it's best to ignore him. Rather than call for
>> moderation, why not just filter his messages? I would never have seen
>> this, except that Ceci redacted his name. So why should I care what Z_n
>> or other trolls write to this list? I can't control their speech, and I
>> believe that attempting it would be immoral.
>
> Because the list as a whole is devalued by the continued lack of
> moderation. This is not whitesupremistneonazipunks, this is cypherpunks.
> I am not challenging his freedom of speech, but this is not the forum
> for that. It would be perfectly on-topic for a neo-nazi or KKK list.
> That is not this list!

I get your concern. Naive users, coming across these messages through
search sites, might get a bad impression. But please consider that
freedom and autonomy are key cypherpunk values. Along with technical
competence. So the best outcome is helping people manage unmoderated
lists on their own, without reliance on centralized control.

Also, please consider that causing grief is the key goal for trolls. And
consider how forcing an ideologically unmoderated list to moderate
itself would be _such_ a fucking win for Z_n. No?