USA Universities learn the consequences of disrespecting free speech

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Mon Dec 5 20:29:09 PST 2016

On 12/05/2016 06:19 PM, Cecilia Tanaka wrote:
> On Dec 5, 2016 8:39 PM, "Marina Brown" <catskillmarina at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I miss the list the way it was back in the 90's. Sure there were fights
> but there was so much more content now it just seems to be the trolls.
>>
>> I learned so much back in the early days of the list. That is why i came
> back here.

It's funny. I didn't see her post :( She must have quoted one of the
trolls. So that's the downside of filtering on both sender and body.

> I wanted to leave this list several times in the last months, but I didn't
> leave because few women  -- cis and trans --  write here and I really want
> to make this space a bit more comfortable and secure for them and for more
> fragile, more sensitive people and minorities in general.

Well hey, I'm glad that neither you nor Marina have left :)

> I absolutely do not care about trolls and offenses, but I know they scare a
> lot more sensible and delicate people.  Poisonous censorship made by
> trolls:  violent, coward, illogical and exhaustive.  It's killing the CP
> list.
>
> As I said few weeks ago, we are losing good informations, technical and
> personal opinions of good people, good professionals, because this list is
> not healthy, is too aggressive and very, very toxic.
>
> What really annoys me and let me very upset is knowing that some sensitive
> persons here never will write anything on this list, never will share their
> opinions and ideas, because of this oppressive dictatorship of fear and
> aggressive bad words.
>
> We don't have moderation, but there is already brutal censorship.

I get that. I finally got fed up with all the crap. But still, I totally
oppose moderation. Back in the day, with slow dialup modems, it was
important to avoid downloading unwanted messages. Now that's not an
issue. So each of us can filter out whatever we don't want to see.