For the love of Mining

Sean Lynch seanl at literati.org
Tue Aug 23 19:13:16 PDT 2016

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 6:28 PM Razer <rayzer at riseup.net> wrote:

> On 08/23/2016 02:07 PM, Mirimir wrote:
>
> > So why use GMail?
> >

> +1x10(6)
>
> I've heard SOME people use it b/c "Filtering". (scratches head wondering
> wtf is so special about gmail filtering)
>
> I (gasp!) use it for newsletters. GOOD LUCK trying to profile me from
> them. I get LeMonde Diplomatique, Strafor's newletter AND Animal
> Liberation Front Office bulletins.

Yeah, Gmail filters pale in comparison to Procmail or Sieve, though I tend
to do very little filtering these days. For the most part, I like Inbox's
email workflow, except for that part about not disaggregating threads I've
responded on if I'm not mentioned in the recipients of a reply.

I had much better luck with Spamassassin than I do with Gmail's spam
filtering, too. Gmail seems to err on the side of false positives, which
IMO is unforgiveable because it forces people to go through their spam
folder when they could otherwise just pretend it doesn't exist. Nearly all
of the false positives are messages sent to mailing lists that some idiot
probably marked as spam, which IMO is the fundamental problem with
"crowdsourcing": the crowd are by and large morons. Spamassassin uses some
crowdsourced data sources, but it weights them accordingly, and I imagine
the people contributing to those datasources tend to be a bit more
obsessive about properly identifying spam than your average gmail user.