Appelbaum, CDC, CCC

Sean Lynch seanl at literati.org
Tue Aug 23 18:42:17 PDT 2016

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 5:40 PM juan <juan.g71 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Aug 2016 23:25:35 +0000
> Sean Lynch <seanl at literati.org> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 4:20 PM juan <juan.g71 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > >         Yes, do whatever you need to do so that the wife doesn't
> > > kick you out 'her' house
> > >

> > I find it amusing that you think this would insult a normal person.
>
>         I'm glad you are amused =)
>
>         And what does 'normal' mean? It simply means to go along with
>         whatever stupidity and/or attrocities are fashionable at the
>         time. Normal == average.

Well "normal" in this case is being in a relatioship where you're on equal
terms with your partner (hence the term "partner") and thus aren't
concerned about accusations of being subservient. Some people prefer
different arrangements, which is fine, and as long as they feel seucre
about the arrangement they have, they also wouldn't be insulted by such
accusations. Hence "normal." "Abnormal" would be defining one's self-worth
based on their ability to exercise power over some other group and never
being subservient to a member of that group.

Of course, for most of humanity's existence the latter was actually
"normal." but for 99.999% of that period we'd be facing off in person over
such a claim and one of us would beat down the other, thus "proving" who
was in fact more masculine and thus capable of violence. Which made sense
in a world where what mainly mattered, at least for men, was how much
violence you could produce. Seems to me that cypherpunks is not really
about maintaining a world where might makes right, though.

>         So yeah, tor is a great tool for freedom and appelbaum is a
>         rapist. And you who don't believe in 'conspiracy theories' get
>         your data from mob hearsay.

The "mob" is just whoever's on the side you disagree with. You want to
portray them as unthinking, just going with the crowd. But what are you
doing? Jake is a hero to you, and a fellow man, and you already believed
Tor wasn't to be trusted, so no thought is even necessary. He's "obviously"
innocent and the victim of a smear campaign.

But name a public rape accusation that hasn't instantly had multiple smear
campaigns spin up against the *accusers*. That's happening here, not just
against his direct accusers, but against the people who believe his
accusers, and the people who believe the people who believe his accusers.
People who had barely even heard of Shari Steele before are saying the
nastiest things about her. I'm getting accused of "licking my wife's boots."

There are clear and obvious smear campaigns going on here, and not a lot of
rational thought. I'm inclined to just discount "the usual suspects" whom
the MRA label fits like a glove, and to believe people who had to write
public announcements that were clearly very difficult for them and put
their reputations on the line and shake up an important project.

You talk about not needing enemies with "libertarians like me", but you
obviously "need" enemies because you see them around every single corner.
You have considered Tor an enemy from the start, and now you're ready to
write off the CDC, CCC, Debian, Shari Steele and probably the EFF in one
fell swoop.

Which would be easier, orchestrating a smear campaign with multiple false
accusations of rape and sexual misconduct against a well-respected member
of a major software project, or to take advantage of such an opportunity
when it arose to cause a bunch of people to distrust a bunch of critical
freedom-oriented organizations?

But really, I suspect the only thing the TLAs need for this particular
battle is a large supply of popcorn. But given that I expect a lot more
projects and organizations will be starting to purge their own Appelbaums
and/or encouraging them to start treating women and everyone else like
human beings.

Speaking of "everyone else", I note you call Chelsea Manning "he",
presumably because doing the opposite of what the "PC crowd" wants you to
do is more important to you than civility, even (perhaps especially) to
people who have suffered from discrimination all their lives.

WIth "libertarians" like you, it's no surprise that few people who care in
the slightest about anyone who's not exactly like them is willing to
identify themselves as "libertarian." Because your "liiberty" is not "free
to be you and me," it's just "free to be me." You want the freedom but not
the responsibility to think about the consequences of your actions for
others. No wonder you're such an Appelbaum fan: he's exactly what you
aspire to be.